Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Return to Aberdeen

Leaving Oroville, we traveled next to Wenatchee. As we approached, I pulled out our new smartphone that I barely know how to use and checked the Wenatchee Craigslist ads. I had  been looking for several weeks for a nice pair of swivel rockers in an earth tone for the main room of the trailer. When we got the trailer, the living area looked like this (photo from company literature).


 Little by little, we've personalized it. Now the built in dinette is gone, the sofa is gone (it was positioned badly for tv watching and wasn't holding up that well anyway; I don't think it was really built for full-time use), we reversed the dining and sitting area, as the space-consuming dinette left a larger space for seating and we could better view the television from that end of the room. We had gotten tired of climbing in and out of the dinette, and the cushions weren't wearing as well as I would have liked them to. And the dreary, light-sucking brown palm tree motif is gone, totally gone. I thought palm trees were supposed to be green! All I needed to complete the setting was the swivel rockers. We had been using a couple wicker chairs, but would leave them at our daughter's house if we found the rockers.

Well, there was a Craiglist ad that sounded just right, so I called and found that the chairs were still available. After ascertaining that their address was a suitable destination for us to take the trailer to, we made our way there, with the help of a couple phone calls for directions. The seller was an elderly couple who had decided to downsize, and the chairs were perfect, in great condition, small scale, and well priced. We took them right out to the trailer and put them in place, and the couple enjoyed seeing their chairs inside the trailer. Here's what the living area looks like now. The appliances on the other side of the room are black, which balances the black table and makes it not look at all out of place. I'll show you my kitchen another day. (There's our border collie mix Claire behind the chair.)


When the slide is in, we turn the table sideways, so there is plenty of room for us to move around at rest stops, etc. (Our dog Claire is lying under the table. She is always tucking herself away like that. She doesn't like people stepping on her long fur. Can't say as I blame her.)


Between the swivel rockers is a little wooden file cabinet that we screwed in place. At first I was going to put another top on it, but then I realized the rim around the top was perfect for a traveling home. I ordered 2 oak magazine racks from Camping World and we attached them to the sides. The top drawer locks, but the bottom one would come open during travel, so we added some catches to keep it shut.


We planned to spend the night in Wenatchee and look up a couple of Jan's cousins who live in the area, but by the time we had completed our transaction, my throat was burning from the smoke from the forest fires in the area, so we decided to travel on. Because of the change in schedule, I had no idea where we were going to stay,  but just as were were becoming really concerned about the situation, we came to a campground--it might have been county or city; I'm not sure. All the spaces were filled, but the host said we could park in the parking lot up above, which we happily did. I was glad, as we had more privacy than we would have in the campground, and we weren't charged the campground fee.

The next day we traveled to our daughter's house in Aberdeen, where we had wintered last year. We spent an all too short week there. The days zoomed by! One day we went to Buckley, near Tacoma, so my daughter Rachelle and her children could meet my Aunt, who had traveled from Montana to go to a grandchild's wedding. On the way, as we drove through heavy traffic, I grabbed a couple shots of Mt. Ranier.

You may recognize the cloud formations as being lenticular, which means it's windy up there!

The next day, Jan and I attended the wedding, which was of the daughter of my cousin. I hadn't seen my cousin in over 30 years, so of course hadn't ever met the daughter. It was wonderful to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment